RSS
Hire Me
Creative Commons License
hiyaa by Dana Oshiro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.  

August 08, 2007

Old Hollywood Day

I'm trying to have an old Hollywood day but the hippies at the Chinese embassy keep screaming and drowning out my hep-cat bossa nova. If I were Marlene Dietrich I'd get my lady tux on and out hair them with my giant Blonde Venus fro, but since I'm me I just swear and spy with my telescope. The reason I'm having an old Hollywood day is because Harper Collins sent me a new book to review, "Damage Control: Woman on the Therapists, Beauticians and Trainers who Navigate Their Bodies" edited by Emma Forrest. I didn't like Minnie Driver's story because I couldn't tell if she was forcing the language or just speaking in the Queen's English. You just knew she'd write about her hair and in that way it was contrived. But I did like the stories by Samantha Dunn, Helen Oyeyemi, and my fave - one about Topsy Young, a former screen siren (with a love of Liz Taylor) who is now elderly and has a great rapport with Swedish masseuse Asa Wrange. Old Hollywood and the people who make up new Hollywood seem to have more charisma and class than today's stars.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

A flying roundhouse axekick to absolutes

twaddle